Friday, June 24, 2016

Repurposed Mosaic Debut

Parts of a much-loved bracelet that disassembled (and in doing so broke my heart) has found a home in this mosaic. It is very vibrant and changes colors as the light changes. It is so captivating that everyone who has seen it expresses their delight in it.

Right after finishing a mosaic, it takes me awhile to look at it without seeing the parts that gave me a hard time, or imagining how I would do it differently next time. As it sits in my windowsill with other mosaics, it will begin to establish its identity as the small mosaic that contains pieces of a bracelet that I once loved, and is a newly adorned and adored creation that I can enjoy. That is the main goal of my work; to put something out there with the sole purpose of giving pleasure to the viewer.

I have started working on a mosaic that I started a few years ago. It started well, but then I lost momentum and focus. I picked it up the other day and saw how I was struggling with new choices back then; however, I also had a new inspiration for finishing the piece. I had recently been in an antique store in Pleasanton where I purchased an antique 130 year old French key. I traced this key onto the board, and ideas are still flying around in my mind like butterflies in a field of daisies. It is exciting!

 I need to clean up the piece then I will take a picture and post it so you can see the difference from where I stopped to where I am now heading. A new mosaic journey; how cool is that...


 

No comments: