Sunday, June 19, 2016

Popping Buttons!

My daughter, Christi, gave me vintage (1930's) buttons for Mother's Day. Of course I get inspired to create a mosaic with these beautiful unique objects at first sight. I had just purchased two small picture frames, and I started to play with the placement of buttons on the glass of the frame. After I decided on which buttons I wanted to use, then I created the drawing and template for the mosaic.

 The buttons were to dominate the mosaic, so the butterfly (I decided) must be delicate and simple. I wanted to add a touch of whimsy and mystery, and that is how the addition of the beads floating through the mosaic came into being. Christi said that she liked the beads, but she was not sure what they were. I said, "They are beads." I knew what she meant, but that is the thing about art; it may reflect reality, but especially with my mosaics, fantasy and whimsy trumps reality.

 The mosaic is only, approximately 2" x 3" with a powerfully colorful presence. I used the delicate millefiori to compliment the beautifully crafted button in the lower left-hand corner, and around the beads on the butterfly's wing.

I really had fun working with these buttons, and giving them a new purpose of adornment. I have a large assortment of vintage buttons, so this is only the beginning of their presence in my mosaics.

No comments: