Sunday, December 11, 2016

A Tragic Loss



I am compelled to speak of the tragic fire on December 2nd where 36 people died many of whom were artists of various talents. The Los Angeles Times did an article on the people that died and interviewed family, friends, or colleagues that had known them. http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-oakland-fire-victims-2016-htmlstory.html

 As I read this article, I kept hearing about people who were kind, caring, quirky, fun-loving, thoughtful, and talented. Many had come here to the Bay area and stayed because they had found a place where they were accepted and encouraged to be themselves. Some people want others who are different to fit into a mold that “society” says is the “norm” and try to sell it as “you can be so much more”, but trying to fit into someone else’s or society’s mold only makes you less. It is soul crushing. 

The Institute of Mosaic Art started out in a converted factory off the Fruitvale exit not far from the Ghost Ship warehouse, and that is where the comparison ends. Fortunately, Laurel True and her partners were able to update and renovate the Institute. That is where I started taking classes in mosaics in 2005. I was in a precarious emotional place at the time, and this warm and caring artistic community welcomed me and gave me a safe haven to heal. There were no expectations that I needed to fulfill. 

At first, I felt like an impostor as they immediately referred to me as a mosaic artist, but then I started to evolve into my own style (still evolving) of artist, and realized that if others see you a certain way and encourage you to be what you so very much want that you eventually will become some form of that. And by some form of that, I mean that we are all different and a true expression of self is unique.

In this way, I feel a kinship with these struggling artists who found a safe haven where they could be free to laugh, dance, and celebrate their incomparable selves. My heart grieves that they had to die in such a manner, and to all of you who lost a love one in the fire, I am so sorry for your loss.  

No comments: